Friday, June 13, 2008

Pie




This is a picture I took back in May. Originally I was going to post it here with a braggarty "Whoo-hoo! Look what I did" blog entry. But it didn't take long for me to realize there wasn't anything to brag about.



I hate to cook. I seriously do. I cook because the authorities look rather unfavorably on starving kids. Every so often, though, I'm inspired to do something a little daring. Like this lemon meringue pie. You may have noticed how awesome the meringue itself looks. That's because I got the recipe for it from Alton Brown, my favorite nerdy TV cook. The recipe came with instructions for making homemade lemon filling and a homemade crust, but that was a bit much for me; I opted for a frozen store-bought crust and a can o'filling instead. Still...the meringue was kind of amazing. I want you to remember that. Here's why:

I was so concerned with the meringue coming out Just So that I didn't think to cook the crust first. I just plopped the lemon filling into the raw (but thawed!) crust, gently spread the meringue on top, and cooked it for the alloted time (I can't even remember just what that was right now.) And so I was stuck with a beautiful, inedible pie.



I really hate to cook...

3 comments:

Crystal Lynn said...

ah....if I stop by in September, I'll bring a pie...you do coffee...

anilize said...

If God had intended you to cook She wouldn't have invented takeaways :-)

CharlotteV said...

I would so totally eat that pie!